But also willkommen, bienvenue and welkom.
At Blue Lines translation comes naturally. We’re not some typical grey-suit translation agency, but a bunch of experienced, motivated professionals who help you cross boundaries, open doors and – why not – even conquer the world. How? With tailored translations, a passion for languages and a broad cultural knowledge. Translation, interpreting & copywriting: Blue Lines is your worldly and versatile business partner.
What can Blue Lines do for you?
Yes, we Blog
When you use the words translation and test in the same sentence, heads will turn and attention is guaranteed. When I reacted to a Twitter post by an agency that doesn’t believe in translation tests, I sparked off an avalanche of responses. So maybe it’s a good idea to explain our stance on translation tests, and to share why we believe they are a necessary evil.
It’s actually quite simple: the proof of the pudding is in the eating. You can fill your CV with all sorts of bold statements, and tell someone that you are an Einstein among translators. We're not saying people are deliberately lying. It's just that no one is going to admit that they are mediocre at best, let alone tell you that they’re crap. So tests are surely a better and safer way forward. Unless you want to ruin your reputation and drive your proofreaders mad.
Our tests are generally around 300 words long and assess a wide range of skills that for us, make all the difference. There will be grammar and spelling issues, specific terminology, deliberately misspelled proper names, hyperlinks that need updating, specific layout and details, lots of details... Furthermore, each paragraph demands a different style, as it’s on a totally different subject. In short, we pack every possible angle into just 300 words. As under 10% of tests are completed successfully, we see no reason to skip this testing procedure.
One point that I would like to stress is that we do not judge translators. We judge specific translation skills. So a failed test does not mean that you are not a skilled translator: you may simply not have the skills we are looking for. A great technical translator does not necessarily make a great champagne or fashion translator.
And no, we don't pay for tests. Why? Because we believe that any professional translator will view a short test as a long-term investment, not as a waste of time. We invest a lot of money in testing by paying senior proofreaders to evaluate every test, and we take pride in the fact that every testee receives a corrected test and a detailed evaluation form. So even if you do not pass the test, you will still have something you can work with and learn from.
Why would someone be willing to spend time and money on personal branding, on building a nice website, on writing a blog, creating a social media presence and attending translation conferences, but not on a 300 word test? It just would not make sense. If you ask me, translation tests are the best ROI for everyone involved. Even if you fail the test, you may still learn from it.
You can check out the lively discussion on Twitter by following me @BlueLinesT or on the following Storify link: http://storify.com/BlueLinesT/to-test-or-not-to-test-1.
Yes, we Tweet
- RT @Revanchist7: That moment you realise your child is better at football than your national team #ENGICE https://t.co/phEhLeRt1F — 8 hours 6 min ago
- RT @DVNJr: England's manager is paid $4.6 million a year. Iceland's manager is a part-time dentist. https://t.co/qXSbnh2OPw — 8 hours 7 min ago
- RT @davidschneider: Iceland have parked the bus. #ENGICE #EURO2016 https://t.co/NbXVRcfJPK — 8 hours 7 min ago
- RT @andylines: Some England fans start singing "F**k off Europe we all voted out" but are drowned out by boos from fellow fans and forced t… — 11 hours 59 min ago
- RT @Barttommelein: Minder wegenbelasting voor Belgische transporteurs die kiezen voor binnenvaart of spoor https://t.co/XKmoV2IK2z — 11 hours 59 min ago
- Buffon met looprekje in de goal maar nog steeds erg lucide. #EURO2016 — 11 hours 59 min ago
- I'm at De Buffel in Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen https://t.co/d6L4lVvAIh — 12 hours 54 min ago
- @de_NVA @SanderLoones echt? BDW zijn 'godzijdank' was een cynische 'gelukkig raken ze niet meer tot hier.' Erdogan is OK voor jullie. — 18 hours 30 min ago